Focusing on Global Security Through Partnership with C-TPATAs part of the global supply chain, security is always at the forefront of Cavalier Logistics’ conscience. In the constant pursuit to improve our security practices, Cavalier became a certified member of the Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) on October 23, 2006.
What is C-TPAT?
C-TPAT is a voluntary government-business initiative to build cooperative relationships that strengthen and improve overall international supply chain and U.S. border security. C-TPAT recognized that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) can provide the highest level of cargo security only through close cooperation with the ultimate owners of the international supply chain such as importers, carriers, consolidators, licensed customs brokers, and manufacturers. C-TPAT supports the National Strategy for Global Supply Chain Security by promoting the efficient and secure movement of legitimate goods and by fostering a global supply chain system that is resilient to natural as well as man-made distortions. The program also improves detection capabilities to identify illicit cargo; maximizing efforts to facilitate the flow of legitimate trade; and fostering an international approach.
What are the benefits of joining C-TPAT?
C-TPAT Partners enjoy a variety of benefits including taking an active role in working closer with the US Government in its war against terrorism. As they do this, Partners are able to better identify their own security vulnerabilities and take corrective actions to mitigate risks. Some of the benefits of the program include:
- Reduced number of CBP examinations and front of line inspections
- Shorter wait times at the border
- Assignment of a Supply Chain Security Specialist to the company
- Access to the Free and Secure Trade (FAST) lanes at the land borders
- Access to the C-TPAT web-based portal system and a library of training materials
- Business resumption priority following a natural disaster or terrorist attack
- Importer eligibility to participate in the Importer Self-Assessment Program (ISA)
How do I become a Partner?
There are no costs associated with joining the C-TPAT program. The application is an easy online process that consists of three steps:
- Conduct and document a security risk assessment in order to determine the risks your company faces and how it mitigates those security challenges.
- Submit a basic application via the C-TPAT Portal system and agree to voluntarily participate.
- Complete a supply chain security profile that explains your company is meeting C-TPAT’s minimum security criteria.
For detailed information on the C-TPAT program and application process please visit www.cbp.gov/ctpat.